Teens talk in code. Learning that code is important.
Teen Text Talk 101:
Don’t be intimidated by the codes – most of them come from dropping vowels or replacing words with numbers for the sake of speed.
It might be hard to keep up with all the changing terms, but as long as you are being clear, your teen will get the message.
At a loss for words? We've got you covered. Try some of these:
(True, there tends to be a lack of proper punctuation, grammar and spelling when texting. It’s all part of the texting culture.)
- If u feel pressured - don’t give in - get out! We will come get u.
- Alcohol is a drug and is addictive.
- Your real friends won’t care. If there is alcohol tell them “Not for me”
- Yup it’s me - have fun - luv u!
- One choice can change everything- Alcohol lowers your judgment, u may do something that u will regret!
- I trust you to make good decisions 2nite. Let me know if you need anything. Mber here for u!
- Be careful tonight. If your friends offer you a drink just say you promised me no.
- Have fun tonight. Keep your curfew in mind. Call me if you need anything.
- Have fun B safe-you are the best thing in this world! Mber that!
- Promises-mber ours! Be safe tonight. Love you.
- There is a link tween alcohol and HIV-WOW!
- Have fun 2night. Stay safe. Don't drink.
Join them in their chosen way of communicating by texting them as well. Texting with teens is a great way to connect with them and continue communicating about alcohol and its risks. So text-away! You’ll be able to stay in touch, let them know you’re thinking about them, and remind them to avoid underage drinking.